Thursday, May 28, 2020

5.28 Ulica Glogera


28 May 2020. Ulica Glogera.

Urgent need to begin again. Desperate even, after two days solid dealing with outside matters (contractors, the city, the beautiful oak tree in back--all vis a vis my very decent neighbors, but still, but still..). All resolved this morning--quite amazing, really--and I sat down to begin a drawing. But the pull of the everyday kept interceding...

So, there I am (above) reaching out again--is it for a place to start (as in today) or for all time? Always the sense that somehow I intend both. You can't hold your arms like this without invoking duration. Maybe it's because a friend queried me recently about final things, and of course I turned once more to the story of Jewish midwives in Egypt, the word hayot, which I always think of as meaning alive. (It's a one-time occurrence--hapax legomenon--so meaning depends on context.) Vigorous, perhaps. Full of vitality. A matter of focus--where one wants to look...

Then the figure with suitcase appeared. From Poland, inevitably, which means it's also me. Ulica Glogera, one of the streets I lived on in Warsaw--in Ochota, an old neighborhood--and a quick look shows that there are views even today that appear much the same...

I wasn't really thinking about this--the point being to get a drawing going, the flow of association matching the movement of the lines, the erasures, which are what tell me, finally, what the drawing means, (towhee, always)--but it's a beautiful early summer day here-- the warm air,  light breeze--same feeling as when I'd walk out of the apartment in Warsaw fifty years ago--an old structure, pre-War--onto the leafy street, set in an arc, with paving stones, beautifully detailed facades--playing Supraphone Corelli on my Czech phonograph (I still have the album) which felt so appropriate and true...

And now all these times have merged, layered together--but each detail remains distinct, distinct...
_____

Reading late last night--one of David Hinton's new versions of Tu Fu. He's eliminated all the rhetoric, it seems--just the images from the poems, juxtaposed, set in a world of ancient China. His world, I should say, in the way he repeatedly reaches for that connection. But I'll go with him in this. The vision is too valuable---the  cosmos enjoined...even if in part his own...