The question being, were they a family? More likely four friends--acquaintances, even. Sometimes it's hard to tell--their ages not that far apart, although the couple on the right were all the time in front. A kind of leisurely walk--on a late afternoon that had turned blustery. Very much like the Bay Area...
I knew I wanted to remember the them--you can never tell when the next set of angels will appear. Sometimes they're right there in front of you without you're even realizing. Here, though, I'm not so sure--or maybe I was resistant. And how could you know, till later, when you find yourself thinking about them again--insistently...
Trying to remember the Wim Wenders--it's been years, but the way he handled his characters in Berlin--the angels and their human counterparts--how the whole film had a sense of quiet. I'm not sure this was accurate to Berlin--but Wenders certainly felt it--and wanted to convey it. Or maybe it was also Henri Alekan, his cinematographer. I read that Alekan filtered his lens with a silk stocking, old and quite fragile--that it had belonged to his grandmother. Providing the understated sepia tonality...
_____
I could have chosen any moment, but the Jean's Realty corner seemed right, there at Santa Fe. With a traffic light and the eucalyptus tree just behind. Added right at the end of the drawing--maybe I could have left them out?
Just the angels...
